Monday 12 October 2015

More on Weddings

18. My favourite +1

In the last three months, we have been to three weddings. The first was for David's Dad; the second for his best friend; and the third for a couple we met at university and encouraged during their engagement. All three were really special, for different reasons. It was bittersweet for the family seeing their Dad get married again; on the one hand it was a very real reminder that their Mom had passed away and was no longer there, and on the other, it was a beautiful moment to witness the gift that each A & M were to each other and how much joy they had in meeting. The boys did an outrageous speech that shall be etched into memory permanently (there's no going back!!), everyone seemed to have a great time with the dancing and catching up, and we enjoyed both spending time together in Inverness on the way up, and helping out on at the venue the day before. The second wedding was special because David saw his best friend entering the same context in which he has (hopefully!) found so much joy. He got to help by being an usher, and I boogied away on the dance floor with two girls I knew from uni and a couple of kids with serious dance moves. The third was special because we were honored by being asked to pray over their marriage during the ceremony. We were praying for them beforehand, but I really enjoyed sitting down and thinking about what specifically we wanted to ask God about for them, in a way that was also accessible to people who think talking to God is weird! We had a great time on the dance floor there, too, especially enjoying a slow dance to "You got a friend in me," which I think describes well where we are in marriage at the moment and how I pray we continue to grow.

I'll say it: I know some people find it stressful, but I love going to weddings. I love dancing, and celebrating joy and love, and talking to new people, and eating yummy cake! I find it a privilege to be invited and really look forward to the day. Interestingly, I had only been to two before our own -  and the first I only have about three seconds of memory from as I was about 5 years old, and the second was for one of his cousins - so I've not really experienced wedding attendance without him. We've been each other's steady +1, and I think that's another reason I value weddings - each ceremony is a chance to get dressed up together, to go to church and worship God, to celebrate love and the concept of marriage together, and to be reminded what it's really about. To be encouraged to pray through the difficult times, and to rely on God for everything we need. It's a chance to share a meal and practice welcoming others and relating to new people as a couple, and to dance. I do love to dance! We also get to witness a new marriage beginning, know what struggles and joys the couple may face. We commit to support them, and I do try to remember to pray for them and to check in. I hope for many more weddings with my favorite plus one, and many more chances to be reminded what this whole journey is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment